Friday, July 16, 2010

2010: Odyssey Two

"Hello there, reader. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and read this blog over-" - Hal 9000 (not an actual quote of his, but sounds like one if you imitate that hauntingly soothing voice)

Cover of 2010: Odyssey Two
2010: Odyssey Two is the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey, by Arthur C. Clarke. Having read it, I must say that I really enjoyed it! That said, this sequel is not for everybody; I know a great many people who would be bored to tears at the mere idea of a sequel to 2001. However, if you enjoyed the original, or if you enjoy 'hard' science fiction (although this book struck me as a mix between hard sci-fi and fantasy) I can definitely recommend it.
In this book, a mission to return to Discovery and figure out what went wrong with HAL (along with gaining more information on the monolith) has been launched, and the Alexei Leonov soars through space, to seek and discover.
Something odd, however, has occured, and in the interest in not giving away too much about the book, I refuse to write in my review just what that it. However, I will inform you (the reader) of this much: Bowman is back.
The crew of the Leonov observe another mission: that of the ill-fated Tsien, which landed upon Europa (a moon of Juptiter).
In all, this book was an extremely satisfying read, likely to keep one company on a trip across the skies at it soars the imagination.
Now I shall move on to 2061: Odyssey Three. I intend to review it as soon as I've read it.

NOTE: I apologize for any unnecessary poetical manner; I intend to release whatever poetry lies within me very, very soon.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds cool, Jourdie! I have never read the first one, but I don't mind reading a series if it is fun. :D Thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete